Recently I was introduced to kimchi and ever since I have fallen in love. I seriously could eat it plain out of the jar all day long. I have never been a big asian food lover, but this steak stir fry recipe is amazing. It just bursts with so much flavor, from the garlic and ginger to the kimchi, every bite is a new exciting mouthful. I got this recipe from one of my friends last week and have already made it twice! This dish can be prepped and cooked in under 30 minutes, although I will confess, I did use 90 second microwave rice (but hey, no one else needs to know that!) I used steak because that is what the original recipe called for, but you could easily substitute it for chicken thighs as well. This is a great crowd pleaser because it looks very impressive, but is not the ordinary chicken and vegetable weeknight dinner. Hope you guys enjoy this dish as much as my guests did!
- 1/2 c soy sauce, divided
- 2 tbsp. sugar + 2 teaspoons (can sub honey as well)
- 2 lbs flank steak, cut into one inch pieces
- 1 c chicken broth
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 16 oz.jar kimchi, chopped into 1 inch pieces (I use Mother in Laws Kimchi)
- 6 scallions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 bags 90 second microwave jasmine rice (or any rice you prefer), about 4 cups
- Marinate the cubed steak in half of the soy sauce and 2 teaspoons of sugar. This can marinate for 10 minutes to an hour.
- In a bowl whisk together the remaining sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, corn starch, and chicken broth. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the garlic, ginger, and 2 teaspoons of the vegetable oil.
- Preheat a skillet on high heat with 2 teaspoons of oil. When the oil is shimmering, this means it is hot enough, and you can add the steak to the pan. You will probably have to sear the steak in 3 batches because you do not want to overcrowd the pan. When the pan is overcrowded, the steak will steam instead of sear and not get that nice dark color that you want. Once you have seared the steak on both steaks, place all the batches on a plate while you continue to cook the rest of your ingredients.
- Add the remaining oil to your skillet and the kimchi. Let the kimchi cook for 3 to 5 minutes until it's aromas start to come out. Once the kimchi is aromatic, you can add in the garlic and ginger. Cook for 30 seconds to a minute, until the garlic and ginger are cooked but not burned.
- Now add back in the steak with all the juices and the chicken stock mixture. Cook for about 5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. When the sauce is almost ready, stir in most of the chopped scallions. I like to reserve some for garnish on the top.
- While the sauce is finishing up, microwave the rice and place on a platter. Top with the steak and kimchi stir fry, and all of the collected sauces. The rice will evaporate most of the sauce making it so flavorful! Top with the reserved scallions and serve hot! Enjoy!
Recipe modified from Cooks Illustrated