If you know me, you would know I am quite the snacker! I like to nibble on things all throughout the day rather than having 3 large meals. Because of this, I am always trying to create healthy options to have in my fridge that don’t require any time and can be eaten on the go! Recently I have been really into farro, a whole grain that has a delicious nutty flavor. It is very similar to brown rice. I was craving something light last night and came up with this refreshing herb salad that is full of healthy nutrients, super flavorful and pairs great with almost any protein. This recipe is very versatile as well so feel to change it up with all of your favorite ingredients! In the summer it would be delicious with some ripe cherry tomatoes and basil, I think pine nuts would add a nice crunch- get creative! That’s what cooking is all about, having fun in the kitchen! Enjoy!
- 2 c farro
- 3 c water
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 seedless hothouse cucumber, chopped into bitesize pieces
- 1/2 c Kalamata olives, pitted, halved
- 1 can chickpeas, 15 oz, drained and rinsed
- 1 can artichoke hearts, 15 oz, drained and rinsed, chopped
- 5 scallions, chopped
- 1 c parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 c basil or mint, finely chopped
- 2 lemons, need zest of 1, juice of 2
- 1/4 c Olive oil
- 1/2 c feta, plus more for topping
- Salt and pepper
- Cook farro according to package instructions. I used Central Market’s 10 minute farro that I cook in water with some garlic and onion powder. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
- Chop all the vegetables and herbs and place them in a large bowl. Add in the cooled farro and toss everything to combine. Pour over the lemon juice, olive oil, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Add in the crumbled feta and toss.
- Taste the salad to adjust any necessary seasonings.
- Serve chilled with extra feta and lemon zest on top. Enjoy!