With Thanksgiving next week and Christmas in just little over a month I really wanted to create some recipes for treats and snacks I could have around the house for all my extended family coming in town. I really am not a fan of cooking when company is over so I like having things made before they get here! This cranberry orange cinnamon bread is great to serve for breakfast with coffee, or just to enjoy throughout the day! It even has a holiday feel with the warm cinnamon flavor and the red bursting cranberries throughout the bread. It has just the perfect amount of sweetness, and is even healthy for you! (It has less then 100 calories per slice!) I recreated this recipe from one of my favorite bloggers, Skinny Taste, and love how she uses light ingredients but doesn’t skimp on any flavor. I will for sure be making this bread all holiday season long!
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1/2 c light brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. Turbinado sugar
- 1 c cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat add the cranberries, sugar, and water. Let cook until most of the cranberries have burst and the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- In mixer combine the butter and brown sugar until soft and fluffy. Once combined add the egg whites, vanilla, bananas, and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda. Whisk to combine then slowly add into the wet mixture.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle the top of the batter with the Turbinado sugar. Bake for an hour or until a tooth pick comes out clean. Enjoy!