- 2 slices of bacon
- ½ large white onion, or 1 small one, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 russet baking potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks, about 2 cups
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into 1 inch pieces, about 3 cups
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 2 scallions, sliced, for topping
- 1/4 c cheddar cheese, grated for topping
- Cook the bacon in 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven. When the bacon is finished cooking, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Pour the onions in the Dutch oven and cook in the leftover bacon grease. Cook the onions for 10-14 minutes or until they are translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the pan and then the cauliflower 4 minutes later. (The potatoes will take a little longer to cook.) After you have added the cauliflower, add in the chicken stock.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook the vegetables for 20-25 minutes or until they are tender.
- When the potatoes and cauliflower are tender, turn off the heat. Using either an emersion blender or a regular blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into a bowl. Top with some reserved bacon crumbles, chopped scallions and some cheddar cheese. Enjoy!