- 1 c barley, preferably quick cooking
- 2 small Honeycrisp apples, about 1.5 cups sliced
- 4 c Lacinato kale, finely chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed, about 4 cups
- 5 oz goat cheese
- 1/3 c Marzetti® Tastefully Dressed™ Honeycrisp Apple Dressing
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the cubed butternut squash on a baking sheet. Toss the squash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Mix everything together to combine then bake.
- Cook the squash until it is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Depending on how big the cubes are, this should take between 28-35 minutes. When the squash is done, remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the squash is baking, cook the barley. There are a couple different types of barley. I am using quick cooking barley which is a 2:1 ratio. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Once boiling, stir in the barley. Add in a big pinch of salt and cover with a lid. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 10-14 minutes until the barley is tender. You may need to drain the barley if there is still excess liquid when it is finished cooking. Pour the barley onto a paper towel lined baking sheet and let it dry out.
- When the squash and barley have cooled, toss in a large salad bowl with the chopped apple, kale, and goat cheese. Pour in the Marzetti® Tastefully Dressed™ Honeycrisp Apple Dressing and mix everything to combine. Taste to adjust any necessary seasonings. Serve and enjoy!